Footsteps of Our People Tour
Description of the Footsteps of Our People Tour
(Roteiro Passos de Nossas Gentes)
Passos de Nossas Gentes is dedicated, as the name implies, to the evolution of Peniche and Penicheiros (the inhabitants of Peniche), portraying the history of the land, the evolution of the island to the peninsula, showing places with Roman remains, passing by the icons of Peniche, while explaining their function and importance over the centuries. It starts right next to an important symbol, a monument, the Fortress of Peniche and, if we talk about a symbol, we have to mention the Rendas de Bilros de Peniche (Bobbin Lace) as well (note: closed on Mondays). Throughout the tour various events, stories and testimonies are shared, such as escapes from the political prison and the constant resistance of the population. The tour follows along the wall of Peniche, ending by the sea. If you like to know the essence and history of places, this tour is for you.
Description of the path
- The ground through where the tour goes is mainly on pavement but also on soil, soil cement, tar road, rocks and gravel, ramps and stairs (some of them do not have a handrail to help – so it is recommended to pay attention to the instructions and rules of the tour. Find information here.).
- Schedules: options to choose starting time from between 8:00am and 10:30am and between 2:00pm and 4:00pm, with booking intervals every 30 minutes (see booking calendar)
- Duration: about 02h30min
- Route length: about 5km / 3miles
- Difficulty: Medium/Low
- Languages: Portuguese or English
- Type of Tour: Private tour with local guide
- Minimum-maximum age: from 0 to 90 years old
- Number of visitors: 1 to 10 people
- Adult: 15+ years old
- Children up to 6 years old: Free (Only accompanied by an adult)
- Children from 7 to 14 years old: 6€/child (Only accompanied by an adult)
- Pets: Allowed (no extra charge)
- Departure point: next to the Fortress of Peniche/Prainha de São Pedro
- Place of end: Quebrado/Forte da Luz
- Recommended items for the tour: ID, water and some food (snack or piece of fruit, for example), sunscreen, hat, suitable clothing and footwear
- Additional information: there’s a possibility the tour realization doesn’t occur due to weather’s conditions; There is free parking on both departure and arrival places.
- Important: we recommend that you carefully read the rules and terms and conditions of the tour. You can find them here.